Small Claims Self-Help
Small claims court is a special court where:
- Disputes are resolved quickly and inexpensively.
- The rules are simple and informal.
- You are not allowed to have a lawyer represent you, except in an appeal (but you can ask a lawyer for advice).
- The person who sues is the plaintiff.
- The person who is sued is the defendant.
Self-Help Guide to Small Claims in California
Click here for more information to help you:
- Start a small claims case
- Respond if you're sued in small claims court
- Mediate in small claims
- Take steps to collect if you won or pay or appeal if you lost and owe money
- Find resources to help